Thursday 12 May 2011

Update and plans chnage dramatically

Right, so I havn't updated this in a very long time, so I will start from where I last left you. Since I got the MG in the shed I have stripped it completely of all parts except axles. Last weekend I removed the engine, which was a pig to get out as it kept on getting caught on the engine mounts.

About a month ago I went down to the local MG garage (Modern Motoring) and asked if I could work there on wednesdays and saturdays, so I got the Job, which is brilliant because I will gain experience of how to actually restore cars, I am also getting paid in parts which will save me alot of money on the project.

The biggest bit of news since I last updated is that Dave(the guy I work for) came round and had a look at the car to see what he thought of it, he basically told me that it was nackered and that he has a 1971 GT which I could have for £400. So me and Dad went to see the new car, which has new sills, floor and rear wings, which will already save me alot of money plus I can sell the parts I have bought. The only major welding really needed on the car is on the rear outer wheel arches, boot floor and rear valence. The new car is red, has wire wheels, webasto sunroof (which will be great for the summer) and a motolita wooden steering wheel, plus it it tax exempt which will same me money over the years. The car was built as an automatic, but doesn't actually have an engine or gearbox so I'll put the green cars engine and gearbox in it though. Interestingly there is an overdrive switch on the dash, so it may have been fitted with a manual at one point, I'll check that out when I get it down to the workshop. As with the other car, well that is going to a mates barn, where it will sit untill I have finished the new car, and then it will come back home and be restored.

Here are some pictures, I'll put some up of the new car when I get it! (last picture is of the rust on the A post and passengers sill, which is why I'm not doing it yet, as I want a car to drice soonish and wanted a chrome bumper)











No comments:

Post a Comment